You can’t say that one plan is better than another in all respects because different benefits fit some people’s needs better than others. It’s like comparing “apples and oranges.” Medicare Advantage plans are very different from Medigap Insurance plans.

Medicare Advantage plans replace traditional Medicare benefits with similar coverage provided by private insurance companies. While Medigap plans are also provided by private insurers, these policies add to Medicare benefits rather than replace them. For example, when Medicare pays 80 percent of your doctor bill, you could add a Medigap plan that would automatically cover the remaining 20 percent.

If you switch from Medicare to one of the Medicare Advantage plans, you’ll have no coverage through Original Medicare and you can’t add a Medigap plan. Advantage plans, however, will provide coverage that is similar to Medicare’s Part A, B and D benefits. It’s just that all of those benefits will come from a private insurance company.

Since Medicare Advantage plans come from private companies, you may or may not have options available where you live. It’s also possible that you could have a broad selection of different Advantage plans in your area. That means you’ll be able to select from different networks of doctors. To see what’s available, just run an instant quote on our site or give us a call. We provide confidential consultations at no charge.

Wiley Long is founder and president of Medigap Advisors, and is passionate about helping people navigate the confusing waters of Medicare. He is the author of The Medicare Playbook: Designing Your Successful Health Coverage Strategy, a clear and simple explanation so you can make the most of your Medicare coverage. For more information visit