Changes are coming to Medigap coverage in 2010. While policyholders will have the option of keeping their existing coverage issued prior to 6/1/2010, you may want to consider shopping around to see if any of the new plans may be better suited to your needs, or offer the same coverage at a lower price.
The changes for Medigap plans in 2010 are as follows:
• Medigap Plans E, H, I, and J, will no longer be available for new sales.
• The “At-Home Recovery” and “Preventative Care not covered by Medicare” benefits will no longer be available on any plans.
• Medicare Supplement Plan G will be modified to increase excess charges to 100% and remove the At-Home Recovery benefit.
• Medicare Supplement Plan D will also have the At-Home Recovery benefit removed.
• Two new Medicare Supplement Plans, M & N, will be available with cost sharing options for the client that will lead to lower premiums.
• A Hospice Benefit is being added to all plans, as one of the Basic or Core Benefits.
Wiley Long is founder and president of Medigap Advisors, and is passionate about helping people navigate the confusing waters of Medicare. He is the author of The Medicare Playbook: Designing Your Successful Health Coverage Strategy, a clear and simple explanation so you can make the most of your Medicare coverage. For more information visit www.MediGapAdvisors.com.