Changes are coming to Medigap coverage in 2010. While policyholders will have the option of keeping their existing coverage issued prior to 6/1/2010, you may want to consider shopping around to see if any of the new plans may be better suited to your needs, or offer the same coverage at a lower price.
The changes for Medigap plans in 2010 are as follows:
• Medigap Plans E, H, I, and J, will no longer be available for new sales.
• The “At-Home Recovery” and “Preventative Care not covered by Medicare” benefits will no longer be available on any plans.
• Medicare Supplement Plan G will be modified to increase excess charges to 100% and remove the At-Home Recovery benefit.
• Medicare Supplement Plan D will also have the At-Home Recovery benefit removed.
• Two new Medicare Supplement Plans, M & N, will be available with cost sharing options for the client that will lead to lower premiums.
• A Hospice Benefit is being added to all plans, as one of the Basic or Core Benefits.