In Dec. 2007, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) agreed to allow employers to reduce their health insurance expenses for their retired workers turning age 65 who are eligible for Medicare. Since then, many employers have been shifting retirees from group benefits to individual plans, opening the doors for Medicare supplement sales through employers using list bill, which allows the employer to send a single check to the insurance company each month to pay the premiums for all of their covered employees. Mutual of Omaha has taken this administrative action, rare in the Medicare Supplement/Medigap market, to offer their products to such employers and their retirees effective July 1, 2009.
What opportunities qualify for premium payment via list bill?
When retirees of an employer purchase our Medicare supplement product and the employer and/or a third party administrator submits the premiums to us for those individuals via list bill.
Establishing and maintaining a list-bill account
Utilizing a list-bill account simplifies the Medicare supplement premium-paying process for employers and producers by allowing all participants (minimum of three) to be on one billing statement.
The process is simple:
- Complete the list-bill enrollment form
- Mail or fax the form to Medigap Advisors at 866-284-0082
- A customer service representative will contact you with the group number assigned to that list-bill account
- Indicate the group number on initial and all future Medicare supplement applications related to this group. A field has been added to the upper right corner of Medicare supplement application for you to provide this information
- Submit the applications to as you normally do
- Three weeks before the premium due date, Mutual of Omaha will send a statement listing all participants (policyholders) to the program administrator (employer or the employer’s third party administrator)
- The administrator remits the amount due for all participants by the due date and coordinates participants’premium payments if applicable
For additional information, visit www.MedigapAdvisors.com